Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Please Allow Me To Introduce Myself

It's official.

As of yesterday afternoon I am no longer a woman carrying a name I wasn't born with. I've returned to the name that I was born with, and I'm determined that I'll die bearing it. Even if I do ever get married again -- and believe me, that's a remote possibility at best because I'd much rather just live in sin! -- I'll never give up my name again. That particular caboose stops here.

But let it be said that I was proud to wear my exh's name when I had it, and it is the name my daughter bears, and it is a good name. It's just not mine any longer. I think I've borrowed it long enough.

For some of the people I know, this will be a strange adjustment. They've never known me as that other woman, the one with the different name. I don't even know if I do. I've had to purposely make it an act of conscious decision, to write or to call myself by the name I was born with. That feels strange! But it will pass.

Well. Nice to meet you all. Again.


((Song: "Sympathy For the Devil" by the Rolling Stones. Lyrics here:
http://www.rollingstones.com/discog/index.php?v=so&a=1&id=106 ))

No comments: