Wednesday, March 5, 2008

R.I.P

.....to E. Gary Gygax, one of the co-creators of Dungeons and Dragons.

I had the honor of shaking his hand and speaking to him briefly at last year's GenCon in Indianapolis. He was in a wheelchair and was obviously not in the greatest of health but he was there, warm and rather regal in bearing. He definitely stood out.

I've played D&D for nearly 26 years now and many of the meaningful memories in my life are attached to the game. I've made lifelong friends through it and lived many an adventure I would not have otherwise been able to do. I still play, and now I have the added pleasure of having my daughter sit at the table with me. I see her enjoying it just like I did when I was her age, caught up in the fantasy and the undeniable sense of accomplishment and camraderie.

It's remarkable to leave a legacy (beyond your children and relatives) that transcends your life on earth. How few of us can claim such a thing? His was a life well lived.

As Rich Burlew of Order of the Stick said, "Wherever he is, I hope he rolls good stats on his next incarnation."

Thank you, Mr. Gygax. Rest well.

No comments: