Thursday, July 9, 2009

If That's Movin' Up Then I'm Movin' Out

I've moved into my new place and finally feel like I'm settling in. There are still a few boxes to unpack and place, a few pictures and art to put up, and a few pieces of furniture I'll have to rearrange (including the 6 ft long, mid-century mod credenza I'm buying today for only $45 - sweeeeet!) but for the most part it's beginning to feel like home.

Putting a bit of a damper on all my excitement is the fact that I've got this strange pain in my abdomen since Friday night, on my right side between my rib cage and my hip bone. I went to the doctor and he checked for a hernia since I'd been moving but didn't seem to think that was it. We took bloodwork -- he said it seemed my liver was a little tender -- and it'll be Tuesday before I get the results back. Who knows, it might be nothing but a torn muscle deep in there somewhere from the move. I swear, if it's not one thing it's another. Grrrrrr.

Still and all, being alone has been enjoyable. I haven't missed my roommate at all. When I look around my place and know that it's all mine, I feel content and satisfied. There are cicadas in the trees outside of my patio and I can sip my tea while I listen to them sing to me in the evenings. They stir my memories of lazy childhood summers in Illinois. I cook myself a great meal and I don't worry about whether another person will like it. I don't miss TV that much (I gave up cable, choosing instead to have internet service alone) because if I want I can relax in front of the computer and watch television shows streaming online. Currently I'm watching a pretty neat little Canadian show entitled "Being Erica." There are a few others I'd like to watch after that.

I'll have plenty of things to keep me busy. There are books I've wanted to read. I have plans for a couple furniture restorations and some more DIY projects around the house, as well as a resurgence in my genealogical pursuits.

I imagine I'll miss people eventually but for now, things are pretty sweet.

Song: "Movin' Out (Anthony's Song)" by Billy Joel. Lyrics here:
http://www.billyjoel.com/music/movin039-out-original-cast-recording/movin-out-anthonys-song ))

No comments: