Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Feeling Good Was Good Enough For Me

I haven't measured myself this week to see if I've lost any more inches but it sure doesn't feel like it. I've been eating like a pig and only working out 4 days a week the last couple of weeks. I'm paying for it, apparently -- I've felt bloaty and miserable. I'd love to blame it on PMS or "that time of the month" but I can't. I was neutered way back in '01 and haven't had to deal with any of that in years. Amen, Hallelulah.

I do have a kinda-sorta-almost-but-not-quite-near excuse for the 4-day workouts. I did some leg lifts last Thursday that I (obviously) did wrong. I strained my back something awful and stayed home from work on Friday, taking Aleve and generally feeling sorry for myself. I decided to look at it as a much needed Mental Health Day.

The kiddo spent last weekend with me and she and I had a great time. We hung out at my BFFs place, where kiddo got a lesson on quadratic equations. BFF is a great teacher; she has had a lot of practice homeschooling her own three kiddos. She definitely has a "teacher mode" that she swings into for lessons and kiddo and I chuckled about that later. I'm sure that the lessons weren't what kiddo exactly considered a "great time" but in her defense, she was the one that took the initiative and brought her book along to my place. Good thing too; she's failing Algebra, got grounded, and is now attending tutorials at her school twice a week. I'm normally a stickler for grades but with Algebra I have difficulty mustering up the proper lecturing mode since I feel for her and understand her sense of simultanous struggle/apathy. I graduated Summa Cum Laude and the only reason I didn't graduate Magna was because of my stupid Algebra courses. Grrrr. They were just so difficult to wrap my head around. It's simply Greek to me, and useless, painful, ridiculous, pointless Greek at that. My kiddo and I are much alike in that regard.

Kiddo and I took a drive on Saturday night in the wee hours of the morning. The time had "sprung forward" and neither of us could sleep. We spent a few hours with our windows rolled down, enjoying the sights and talking and singing to the radio and laughing. I'm so lucky to have such a beautiful, unique, funny person for a daughter. I truly enjoy discovering all the whys and wherefores of how she thinks. We stopped for a snack at a greasy spoon and she told me she loved eating in places like that because they felt lived-in, like real people cooked there and made real food instead of the cookie cutter feel of chains. I drank my decaf (well for the love of God, it WAS 3 am!) and listened to her talk.

I'm going to miss these days when they're gone. I'm trying to remain cognizant of them and relish them as they happen. Life is all about these little details.

I'm feeling all right these days. I get sad on occasion but for the most part I'm doing well. I have so much in my life to feel grateful for.

((Song: "Me And Bobby McGee" by Janis Joplin. Lyrics here:
http://www.bluesforpeace.com/lyrics/bobby-mcgee.htm ))

No comments: