Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Way Up Firm And High

I weighed myself on Friday and I weighed in at 135.5 lbs. I measured myself on Sunday night and I've lost 1 inch on my hips, waist and chest and a 1/2 inch on my thighs. I've gained a 1/2 inch around my biceps and calves.

Boo yah!

I'm a petite lady at 5' 0" but (other than in high school when I was thisbigaround) as I've matured I've developed into what I call barrel-shaped. Thank my German ancestors for that. Thicker middle, stick arms and stick legs. And yes, I'm also stacked. Thanks for nothing in that department, maternal German ancestry!

I've always wanted to reduce the "girls." I hate bras and it's the first thing I get rid of when I get home in the evening. I should have started wearing a bra in the sixth grade but it was the eighth before I finally started doing so. I just wore big jackets. I've wondered if I did some connective tissue damage since I was by no means small-busted. I say that because frankly, I look like a bushwoman when I don't wear a bra. Flat and to my navel. Bleh.

Anyway, I'd tried here and there over the years to look for something to give me a more rounded, perky look to no avail. I jiggle like a bowl of jello, I don't stay in the silly things when I lean over....you name it. No matter what I bought I'd constantly have to pull it down in the back because it rode up. To me, that translated into "it's not supportive enough to hold the weight" so I'd buy a bigger cup size to counter that problem. Nothing seemed to work, though, and finally I'd just given up and settled into wearing the matronly styles. Plus, I hated the idea of spending any more than $20 on a bra. Especially if they'd ride up and be a general pain in the ass. No way I was spending good money on that!

Over the past month my workout partner/co-worker BK kept telling me over and over that I wasn't wearing the right size bra. She told me that instead of the 36C/40D size range (depending on brand) that I'd been wearing for most of the last 20 years, I should be wearing a much smaller size, relatively speaking. She pegged me for a 32DDD. I admit I didn't buy it. I didn't buy it at all. ME? A 32? Come on! No way.

However, she did look great in her bras. So I turned myself over to her -- if for no other reason than to shut her up and prove her wrong -- and she and I spent this past weekend on a mission. We went to a big girl's store and the lady measured me. Now I've been measured before, and at Victoria's Secret no less! -- but not like this lady did. Talk about a thorough job. Anyway, she measured me at a......yes. A 32.

Um. Aw, bloody hell. BK's eyes were triumphant.

I hate being proved wrong.

So.......we went looking for a bra and exhausted all possibilities save for Dillard's since it was the only place that carried my size. As I was trying them on I heard BK in conversation with the salesladies saying that it was freakish, how such a small lady could be so severely stacked. She meant for me to hear it, evil woman. I chuckled wryly. Whatever. I told her she was just jealous.

So yeah, I bought one. $63! Holy crap, I haven't spent that much money on one article of clothing since 1998. Turns out I'm going to have to special order my size. Yeah, get ready for it. 32I. Not D or E or even G. An I. Sheeeeeeeesh.

But holy smokes, I look good in my shirts. I don't jiggle or bounce. I feel like I'm in a vise, so maybe that's why. Too many years of wearing bras that didn't fit have spoiled me. I'll get used to it, I'm sure. The thing doesn't ride up in the back, the straps don't move, the support is phenomenal. And I love the way I look in it both in AND out of shirts. Like I'm 20 again!

Who knew you could buy 20 years back for 60 bucks?


((Song: "Night Moves" by Bob Seger & The Silver Bullet Band. Lyrics here:
http://mysite.verizon.net/silverbulletfan/Nghtmvs-Nghtmvs.html ))

No comments: