Tuesday, November 13, 2007

The Only Thing You Want From Me

I had a short conversation via IM with BiB on Sunday night. I wanted to touch base because I'd heard he'd been offered a new job. We talked about an hour, maybe a little bit less, and he filled me in on all the hoops he had to jump through to finally get the job offer. He talked about the phone interview, how they played twenty questions with him, how he'd aced their logic quiz (plus giving me the questions and the answers for all of them.) It was the whole nine yards.

Funny, he didn't tell me the name of the company. I knew why. And so I didn't ask.

And after the job offer story and the excruciating detail and the braggadocio? Conversation quickly lulled. He seemed to become suddenly distracted. Didn't ask how I'd been or what was going on in my life or anything of the sort. I offered a detail or two to test the waters, so to speak. Got nothing in return but a few cursory replies. It took me less than five minutes to see he wasn't going to ask, nor much cared. So I took my leave.

It only hurt for a little while.


((Song: "Skin Divers" by Duran Duran. Lyrics here:
http://www.metrolyrics.com/skin-divers-lyrics-duran-duran.html))

No comments: