Saturday, February 14, 2009

Faking-tine's Day

So today is Valentine's Day, which incidentally, might have been part of the reason why Yo didn't want me to show up today. That hadn't occurred to me until yesterday or the day before, hah! Shows how much this holiday really means to me. Hell, even when exh and I were still together we didn't celebrate it except for perfunctory card-giving because I hated (and hate) all the pomp and obligatory kiss-kissing.

Come to think of it, there's not really a holiday I DO like.....except Halloween. That one I like.

Anyway, roommate just left the house to head over to Queen's for the weekend. I know -- though he doesn't -- that she's got plans to do the candlelight wining and dining thing, no doubt climaxing (pun definitely intended) with gift exchanging and sweet nothings.

All of which he dreads. As he walked out the door a few minutes ago he said in a resigned tone, "I really don't like Valentine's Day. I'll just play the game."

Her efforts -- which are meaningful to her and are meant to help build a relationship that she values -- are obviously unappreciated. What means so much to her is only partially shared by her significant other. He plans to fake it.

I find it so very sad that she left a marriage that was filled with this sort of fakery, only to enter into another one with the same constraints. Although she might thinks she does, she doesn't really know the man she's dating. Or knows but doesn't want to know. If you catch my drift.

No comments: