Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Whistle While You Work

I've been told there are many hidden benefits from going to the gym and I can tell you right now, I'm a believer. I know all about developing bone density, preventing cancer or diabetes or heart attacks. I know it keeps you younger and keeps you healthy longer.

I just didn't know it could also benefit you fiscally.

So fast forward. I go and I meet this very nice girl that works out at the same time as my friend and I. She and I talk while we're readying ourselves for the day. One day last week I happen to mention I have a paralegal certificate and have been having trouble getting the experience I need to make the certificate worthwhile. I say I wouldn't mind volunteering a few hours a day to get that experience.

She says she owns a real estate business and across the building from her is this great lawyer who's a super nice, talented guy. She says she'll speak to him and see if he'd be willing to take a volunteer. I say thank you and go on about my day, thinking that like most things, it was idle talk. Not so. That very day -- last Thursday -- I get an email from the lawyer asking me to contact him! Surprised, I do. He asks me to come in on Monday (yesterday). I do.

I get there at the appointed time. We speak briefly and get along really well. I get along equally well with his associate. The lawyer says, "There's a problem with your suggestion to volunteer. There are ethical issues with having a non-employee see confidental client files. So if you're agreeable, I'll hire you as a part time employee. You come in the few hours a day that you can after you get off your current job and learn as much as you can. When I expand my practice -- as I intend to do within the next year -- there's a real possibility there'll be a position for you if you fit in and you'd like to take it. Deal?"

DEAL? DEAL? Hell yes, it's a deal!

So I have a(nother) job! At a real honest to goodness law firm! With opportunity I didn't have even two weeks ago.

And all because I went to this stupid gym.

Not so stupid now, hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm????

(And oh yeah, I've also lost some inches. Woooot!!!)


((Song: "Whistle While You Work" by the Seven Dwarves. Lyrics here:
http://www.stlyrics.com/lyrics/snowwhiteandthesevendwarfs/whistlewhileyouwork.htm ))

2 comments:

Dee said...

Congratulations! I am so excited for you. Even in an economy like this, good thing happen. Networking is amazing. Enjoy the new job.

Runaground said...

Thanks, D! I am hoping tha this all pans out for the best, but even if it doesn't mean a full time position it means experience. That's the goal!