Thursday, May 7, 2009

A Change Is Gonna Come

I've been wondering for a while whether I chose wisely when I decided to pursue a paralegal certificate. I've been working verrry part time at a lawyer's office since January and it's been a bit of a tough row to hoe. I've enjoyed the people I've been working with but I haven't always enjoyed the work. I haven't been learning as much as I hoped to learn because there's simply not enough time to dedicate to instruction. This is mainly because the office is run slapdash, at breakneck speed, and there's too much work for too few employees. I've told my friends that the best way to illustrate how I felt about working there was by comparing it to a hamster running in a wheel.

I've been wanting to leave the office for about a month now and free myself up to pursue other things but I've grown accustomed to it. Financially, certainly, but moreso because I'm stubborn in the sense that once I start something, I don't like to change unless change is somehow forced upon me. I'm basically not a boat rocker.

Well, that change has just been forced upon me. I've been let go. Sure, there's this little part of me that's nursing some wounded pride (I should have done it first, waaaa!) but the rest of me is breathing just a little bit easier. I can look at it philosophically and assure myself that now I've been set free to find something else that fits me better. I've learned things here of both a practical and an emotional nature and that's worth the effort I put in.

But man, I'm sure gonna miss the extra cash!

((Song: "A Change Is Gonna Come" by Sam Cooke. Lyrics here:
http://theband.hiof.no/lyrics/a_change_is_gonna_come.html ))

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Your love is research not paper work. When are you going to make the move in that direction?