Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Tyger! Tyger! Burning Bright

I had a dream last night that I'm sure was a reflection of how I passed the evening.

In my dream I was standing on the porch of a farmhouse I recognized as my grandparent's home back in the midwest, wearing a 1940's cotton dress and with a washbasin cocked on my hip. I was absorbing the night air when I noticed how still the creatures of the night had become. Not even the cicadas were singing. Just then the clouds parted and the light of the moon poured through, bathing the cornfields across the road in a pale light. A pair of tigers were out in the cornfields. I watched them for a moment, hardly believing what I saw, and then froze. Instead of backing into the house as I should have done, though, I watched one of the two dogs I had -- a big shaggy black one -- do its best to protect me. The dog darted out into the field to meet the pair and one of them engaged the dog, knocking it down with a swipe of its paw and setting upon it with fang and claw while the other continued methodically toward the porch.

The other dog -- a little terrier -- burst out from under the porch, barking, and began to run toward the one tiger approaching me. It was then that I backed up toward the door and called the dog to me urgently, trying to get him to come into the house. The dog didn't listen to me no matter how demanding I was, though, and the tiger ignored it as it pursued its one goal....me. I don't know if the dog died or if he simply got brushed aside. I tried to slam the door but it was too late and the cat came in.

It didn't turn on me, though, at least not to my recollection. The dream became blurry and I awoke. Afterwards I felt no lingering fear from it.

Possible Interpretations (gathered from http://www.dreamota.com/):

  • Seeing corn in your dream means abundance, growth and fertility.
  • A dream about a farm can be interpreted as nurturing and cultivating aspects of yourself. Perhaps the time is ripe for some project or idea to reach harvest.
  • Tigers represent female sexuality and aggressiveness, power leashed or unleashed anger. If chasing you or another for the kill, what is there in yourself that you are trying to get rid of?
  • Dogs in dreams could symbolise a large variety of ideas and concepts, but mostly they are symbolic of the dreamer's defensive structure and may represent personal boundary issues. Dogs could represent the more basic or "animal" parts of our nature and some think that they specifically represent male energy. They also symbolize loyalty or fidelity, especially to one's own values or intentions. Their appearance may indicate a treasure (skill, knowledge) you've ignored or forgotten that needs to be activated, or has the potential to be activated; some idea or aspect of yourself that you need to guard more carefully. Is something happening in your waking life that you need to be on guard about or need to guard against?

Fascinating. Don't you think so, HD?

((Poem: "The Tyger" by William Blake at http://rpo.library.utoronto.ca/poem/198.html ))

No comments: