Wednesday, January 10, 2007

I Just Keep Losing My Beat

After a phone conversation this morning, shivering in a cold car, 30 minutes late for work, words loud in my ear but silent in all the most pertinent places. A few bones were tossed, a few heartfelt things were said. But by whom? Both of us? And though I flipped open the phone intending on creating an end, by the time I pressed my phone closed I only heard the distant swoosh of hopes slapping against a shore and echoes of having walked this path before.

I've been doing my work this afternoon on autopilot. I keep wondering if this time, things will actually be different. That's what, seemingly, was intimated. Funny thing is, I think the intimations are correct. I just wonder if we're staring at each other across a chasm that we keep trying to bridge, but using our own ladders and not trusting the other's ladder enough to even try to walk on it. I should feel happy and relieved, full of expectations and hopes.

So then why do I feel like there's been a death in the family?


((Song: "Somebody To Love" by Queen. Lyrics here:
http://www.queenwords.com/lyrics/songs/sng11_10.shtml))

No comments: